Extruder feed Issues

Zorce

Extruder feed Issues

Post by Zorce » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:17 pm

For the life of me, I can not get the filament to feed all the way down into the extruder. I get it past the motor and once it hits the hole it just jerks the motor like it cant go any further. Heat is at 200+ Not sure what I am doing wrong or why it wont go.

zhangxueyou

Re: Extruder feed Issues

Post by zhangxueyou » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:38 am

When you try to manually feed the filament , you should press the spring.
When the filament goes past the motor, it should cross another hole. The filament should reach the hot end .
Because the hole is a little small, you should use a flashlight to see its position.

Zorce

Post by Zorce » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:04 am

I did press the spring and when it gets past the motor I can see it going into the hole but then it stops. The extruder is plenty hot enough to melt it but it won't feed down far enough to get to the hot end.

zhangxueyou

Post by zhangxueyou » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:15 am

When the temperature is 200 degrees, can you manually extrude the filament?

Zorce

Post by Zorce » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:22 am

No, same result. It gets into the start of the hole after the motor then stops. If I touch the outside of the extruder tip with the plastic, it melts fine so it isn't a heat issue. It is almost as if something in the extruder hole is obstructed. I don't want to take the extruder apart if I can help it.

zhangxueyou

Post by zhangxueyou » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:34 am

Generally, when the filament reaches the hotend, and the temperature is high enough, you can extrude it with you hand.
So I think the filament has not crossed the hole. You can check the distance between entrance and hotend , comparing with the length of filament that you have plugged. If they are not equaled, you have to feed the filament until it really reaches the hotend.

Zorce

Post by Zorce » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:30 pm

Ended up taking the colling fan and the heat sink off the extruder to see what the problem is. Looks like when feeding the filament, the path isnt aligned too good and the plastic tries to move back away from the hole. I took a screw driver and pushed it forward moving it along and it fed fine, so I now have it working and did my first print. wasnt a great print because I have some belt adjusting to do but it was a print none the less....lol

Anyways, looks like I will have to take the fan off when refeeding a new spool of plastic though but I think I can live with that.
Thanks =)

zhangxueyou

Post by zhangxueyou » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:40 pm

It might be the slicer settings issue.
Please tell me your filament diameter and nozzle diameter, and the type of filament.