mk8 extruder / hotend max temp

cadfinger

mk8 extruder / hotend max temp

Post by cadfinger » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:39 am

I have the reprap i3 pro b which is supposed to support 5 types of filament and am working to assemble it this week. Ive found some conflicting info about the max temperature of the hotend. This is important to me because I bought this printer to experiment with some new filament types like wood-pla, nylon, ninjaflex, polycarbonate, PET, etc. (I have previous printing experience in PLA only) The technical specifications on ebay list the max hotend temp at 240 degrees. The same product specs at the geeetech website list the recommended temperature at 240 degrees but say the maximum is really 288 degrees. I contacted the sales team via ebay and was told that the hotend could be heated to 260 degrees and would print nylon at that temperature but that the hotend had a PTFE (Teflon) liner that would need to be changed out to a metal liner. I suppose my questions are... Does anyone know whatthe stock maximum temperature of the hotend in the mk8 extruder as they come out of the box? Is the hotend outfitted with a 40w heater cartridge and thermistor that can handle higher temps (300 degrees seems to be the standard for high temp printing)? If I run the hotend up to 260, I believe that PTFE and PEEK liners will start to break down at about 240 degrees, is there some instruction about modifying the hotend to withstand higher temperatures? Is it easier just to buy an all metal hotend that is rated for 300 degrees? Any insight would be appreciated.

Yorog8

Re: mk8 extruder / hotend max temp

Post by Yorog8 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:57 pm

Bonjour geeetech-official,

Hi,

I have a problem with the 3d printer.
When i print an objet all of axis works good but the stepper motor of the extruder not!

When i use the manual fonction it works good.
the two fan doesn't work to.

Thanks beforehands

- yorog8

zhangxueyou

Post by zhangxueyou » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:16 pm

cadfinger wrote:I have the reprap i3 pro b which is supposed to support 5 types of filament and am working to assemble it this week. Ive found some conflicting info about the max temperature of the hotend. This is important to me because I bought this printer to experiment with some new filament types like wood-pla, nylon, ninjaflex, polycarbonate, PET, etc. (I have previous printing experience in PLA only) The technical specifications on ebay list the max hotend temp at 240 degrees. The same product specs at the geeetech website list the recommended temperature at 240 degrees but say the maximum is really 288 degrees. I contacted the sales team via ebay and was told that the hotend could be heated to 260 degrees and would print nylon at that temperature but that the hotend had a PTFE (Teflon) liner that would need to be changed out to a metal liner. I suppose my questions are... Does anyone know whatthe stock maximum temperature of the hotend in the mk8 extruder as they come out of the box? Is the hotend outfitted with a 40w heater cartridge and thermistor that can handle higher temps (300 degrees seems to be the standard for high temp printing)? If I run the hotend up to 260, I believe that PTFE and PEEK liners will start to break down at about 240 degrees, is there some instruction about modifying the hotend to withstand higher temperatures? Is it easier just to buy an all metal hotend that is rated for 300 degrees? Any insight would be appreciated.
I am sorry, the recommended max temperature of hotend is 240 degrees. I think you can find a hot end which can bear higher temperature in other websites.

zhangxueyou

Post by zhangxueyou » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:18 pm

Yorog8 wrote:Bonjour geeetech-official,

Hi,

I have a problem with the 3d printer.
When i print an objet all of axis works good but the stepper motor of the extruder not!

When i use the manual fonction it works good.
the two fan doesn't work to.

Thanks beforehands

- yorog8
The stepper motor of extruder can not move unless the extruder's temperature is up to 175 degrees.
The fans will always work as you turn the printer on. Do you connect the fans correctly?

Yorog8

Post by Yorog8 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:40 am

Yes the fan is well plug. the temperature is ok wehn I lauch the program.
I tried to move the extruder motor in manual fonction and it turn!!

zhangxueyou

Post by zhangxueyou » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:09 am

Yorog8 wrote:Yes the fan is well plug. the temperature is ok wehn I lauch the program.
I tried to move the extruder motor in manual fonction and it turn!!
You can control the extruder motor when not printing, that means the board is ok, and motors are ok too.
I think it's slicer setting issue. Do you set the temperature?

Yorog8

Post by Yorog8 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:35 am

Yes I do.

I have you a test gode to send me to try it?

Yorog8@hotmail.fr

Thanks

Yorog8

Post by Yorog8 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:38 am

Hi,

I tried test code you sent me.
It didn’t work to on my 3d printer .
I saw a suspect think. as you can see on the pictures I sent you, he beb don’t heat and as you can see on the picture attached the electronic main board is warmed when the bed wire is plug.

yorog8